Saturday, January 07, 2006

More thoughts on Psalm 23

I've had some more thoughts on Psalm 23; particularly on verses 3 & 4:

Rest & restoration = coming to Christ to be saved. Jesus says in Mathew 11:28-30, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."(KJV) Psalms 23 begins the same way: "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."(KJV) Jesus wants me to find rest and restoration when I come to Him. In Jesus is the only place where I will find complete rest and restoration from my sin, from my independence or self-dependence. And by the way, since I am still a work in progress, I can go back to Jesus for rest and restoration
whenever I need to.

Jesus, Himself, found rest in the Father as the Father led Him through the valley of the shadow of death when He went to the Garden of Gethsemane. The valley of the shadow of death brings about a seemingly separation from God. This is why the shadow of death is just that, a shadow. Even though it may seem like death and even feel like death, it's not death. Death is separation from God and we are not ever really separated from God. And even if we are, this separation or death is only a temporary separation, not a permanent one for the believer. That's why it can only be a shadow of death. . .whether it's physical death or death of self-dependence. We, just like Jesus, are never separated from God for long, if at all, once we enter the valley of the shadow of death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home